Monument record MDR1504 - Romano-British settlement, Carder Low, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1288 6280. Enclosures on the hillslope, with internal divisions. It is unknown how they relate to the adjacent grange boundary. (1,2). Unfinished plan by L. H. Butcher of what is described as a Romano-British enclosure in Sheffield City Museum. (3). Carder Low Romano-British settlement. Visible components include platforms, double orthostatic walls, lynchets, single and double orthostatic boundaries, irregular and sub-circular enclosures, clearance cairns, possible gateways and possible trackways. (4).
- <1> SDR10612 Index: NDAT. 2152. 2152.
- <2> SDR19280 Article in serial: Beswick, P. & Merills, D.. 1983. 'Survey of Early Settlements and Fields in the Southern Pennines', The Hunter Archaeological Society. Vol. 12. vol 12, p. 16-50.
- <3> SDR13784 Archive: Butcher, L. Sheffield City Museum: Butcher Collection. SCM 1976: 978.
- <4> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. Site 094, pp 89-90.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1287 6281 (156m by 102m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2008 11:45AM