Skip to main content

Monument record MDR15086 - St Luke's Church burial ground, Church Street, Heage

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Earlier Heage burials are recorded in Duffield Church. Some stones record local pit accidents, including the grave of three Heage men killed in Derbyshire's worst explosion at Clay Cross in 1882. A rare cast iron grave marker, and the bruial place of Charles Cathrow Disney, the last owner of Morley Park Ironworks. Near the lytch gate is buried three times married Thomas Allen, who for 50 years managed the Newcomen Type pumping engine at the Morley Park Colliery. (1) Most of the victims of the Clay Cross explosion are buried in Clay Cross. The Heage men who died are buried in St Luke's Churchyard. A monument dedicated to the disaster is in Clay Cross cemetary. A full account of the disaster at Clay Cross is availble in the SMR Library. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Judge, T (Ripley Historical Group). 1993. Some places of interest in Heage Village.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Judge, T (Ripley Historical Group). A Mining Story.


No mapped location recorded.


Grid reference Not recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 2 2023 5:46PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.