Building record MDR4949 - St Luke's Church, Church Street, Heage
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
The church at Heage was built, in 1836, onto the west end of St. Luke's Chapel, the latter becoming the chancel of the new church. The west wall of the chapel, on which there was a bell turret, was pulled down. In 1820 the chapel was measured by Mr. Rawlins at 46ft 10ins by 17ft 5ins. A sketch by Rawlins shows features probably debased in the 17th century. A letter quoted by Lysons (2) tells of the destruction of the chapel by a tempest on 20th June 1545, and is the first definite record of the chapel. The chapel was probably in a state of more or less dilapidation until repaired, probably by George Pole. A stone with his initials and the date 1661 is in the south wall near the porch, having been previously in the west end of the chapel. ".. ..It may be conjectured with certainty that there was a chapel at Heage at a date earlier than any details of the present structure would warrant us in assuming. In the year 1343 mention is made of one Nicholas 'le clerk de Heghedge". (1-2) The church is in use for public worship (1959). (3) St Luke's Church has a T-plan owing to an addition of 1826 to an earlier building. The plan turned out (by chance probably) to be one of those specially recommended for Protestant worship from the early days. The only part of the medieval church to survive the furious storm of 1545 was the east window of three stepped lancet lights cusped. The rest of the old part (now the chancel (1979)) was rebuilt in 1646-61 and has small straight-headed side windows. The new part is taller and has the typical early 19th century lancets of two lancet lights with pierced spandrels. Over the entrance is a polygonal bell-turret (1896?). The date 1752 on the door lintel does not refer to either main building period. (5) A church that was built in 1646-61 re-using some earlier materials, with an addition of 1826, plus a 1933 addition and minor alterations. The 17th century part of the church is of coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressing and quoins, and has a graduated stone slate roof with stone coped gables on plain kneelers. The 1826 addition is of coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings, and has a plain tile roof with stone coped gables and an octagonal stone bellcote to the north gable end. The building has a T-plan, with the low, three-bay 17th century part with south porch running east-west, and the 1826 addition at right angles to the west end. The south gable wall of the 1826 part has steps up to pointed flush doorcase with a metal clock-face above. The interior of the earlier part has raised and fielded panelling to dado height, and a 19th century scissor truss roof. The 1826 part has a painted flat ceiling with moulded plaster cornice, a 19th century organ to the north end, and a 12th century circular font bowl on a 19th century octagonal stone stem. There are plain 19th century pews throughout. There are two brass plaques on the north wall of the earlier part; one a charity plaque of circa 1705 and one memorial to Joseph Statham, circa 1809. See list description for more details. (6) The first mention of the church at Heage is a letter telling of its destruction in a storm in 1545. The medieval church, which was a chapelry of Duffield, did not survive this storm and all that is left of it is the east window. The chancel was rebuilt in 1646-61, and a newer part was added in 1826, giving the church its T-shaped layout. The Parliamentary Commissioners recommended in 1650 that Bellper and Heage be united in to one parish. The church was reordered circa 1897 by P H Currey. (7) The burial ground is only 145 years old and early Heage burials have been looked for at Duffield church. (8)
- <1> SDR84 Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 161.
- <2> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 147-9.
- <3> SDR6462 Personal Observation: F1 WCW 14-JUL-59.
- <4> SDR6531 Personal Observation: F2 BHS 09-JUN-66.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 242-3.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1158964, Original Uid: 79114.
- <7> SDR20951 Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 99.
- <8> SDR23087 Unpublished document: Judge, T (Ripley Historical Group). 1993. Some places of interest in Heage Village.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3696 5062 (27m by 22m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 16 2015 11:45AM