Former chruch building and parish rooms to be re-erected at the Midland Railway Centre Musuem. Building recognised as having historical interest and is a good example of a distinct building type. St Saviour's was dedicated on 26th of September 1898 and is likely to have been erected that year to serve the small population of railway workers who were working on the construction and maintanence of the Midland Railway line. Westhouses did not exist as a settlement prior to the coming of the railway, thus purpose-built railway cottages and structures such as the church were built. An article published in the Derbyshire Times on Saturday, 1st October 1898 refers to the church as 'the New Mission Church'. Roof had been replaced by asbestos sheeting at some time. The building may have been manufactured by the Walker Brothers, who also designed similar buildings of a prefabricated nature, such as the church at Woodland, near Barnard Castle. However, it is also thought that the building may have been consturcted by the Midland Railway company itself. The building was re-erected at the Museum in Butterley Park as part of a future 'street-scene' development. (1)
Correspondence: Midland Railway Trust. 1995. Letter correspondence regarding the dismantling and re-erection of St Saviour's Church, March, 1995 to May, 1995.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4226 5798 (115m by 64m)
BLACKWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2015 12:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.