SK 1589 6146. Tumulus. (1). According to an Ordnance Survey map, Human Remains, Vase, Knife &c. were found at this location. (2). The barrow was excavated by T. Bateman on 20th February 1847, revealing an extended inhumation in a rock-cut grave. The associations included an unusual pot of Frankish type, not even common in Kent, probably dating from the 6th to 7th centuries A.D. There was also an iron knife, and an iron and wood object with a silver ornament / setting. Traces of decayed wooded planks around the skeleton, may represent remains of a coffin. Some 18" (0.45 metres) below the surface of the mound, Bateman discovered much charcoal and burnt animal bones indicating a possible horse cremation. From the same level, a sherd and an antler tine allow for a possible prehistoric origin for the barrow. (3-5,7,8,10). The published survey (25") was revised. (6).
There is some dispute as to whether the excavated pot is Roman or Frankish. Ozanne (5) noted that "… It would be surprising to find a complete Frankish vessel in Derbyshire of a type not represented in Kent". Regarded by Bateman and Reginald Smith as a local Romano - British or sub-Roman product. The south-west side of the barrow has been quarried away and the rest ploughed over, a wall and fence running between the two areas. The original diameter was probably about 11 by 12 metres. No original record of a later excavation by Bateman (in 1854) has been found and this may be in error. (10).
Brundcliffe hlaew, or Anglian barrow became a scheduled monument on the 17th September 1971. it is situated in the western uplands of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. The monument includes a bowl-shaped mound, disturbed on the south-west side by quarrying so that it now has a subcircular appearance and measures 14 metres by 11 metres in diameter by c. one metre high. In 1847 the barrow was partially excavated by Thomas Bateman who recovered an extended skeleton in a rock-cut grave, accompanied by an iron and wood object with silver ornamentation and associated with traces of wooden planking interpreted as the remains of a coffin. In addition there was a curved iron knife and the sherds of a red earthenware jug of a rare Frankish type not normally found outside Kent. Jugs of this kind date from the 6th century AD and after, indicating a date for the barrow of c.AD600. Higher in the mound Bateman found a horse cremation and charcoal. (11).
The pottery vessel and iron knife are now in the Sheffield City Museum. (12).
Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. p210, 234.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1588 6147 (12m by 12m) (Centre)
HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2015 9:03AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.