Monument record MDR15428 - Cromford Churchyard, St Mary's Church, Cromford
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCHYARD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
Two lead pigs dug up by the sexton (reported 1919), one inscribed 'XXX' and the other 'VX'. (1) St Mary's Church was founded by Sir Richard Arkwright as a private chapel within the grounds of Willersley Castle and opened to public worship by his son in 1797. A memorial to Mrs Arkwright (1820) by Chantrey hangs on the north wall of the nave. In the corresponding position on the south wall is a similar plaque dedicated to Charles Arkwright (1950), by Henry Weeks. Sir Richard's remains were moved from Matlock Church to St Mary's and interred in a bricked-up vault within the chapel. (2) Originally intended for the private use of the family and for their burial place, but subsequently the scheme was enlarged and the church made parochial. Sir Richard Arkwright is buried here. (3) For St Mary's Church Cromford, see: St Mary's Church, Cromford, (SMR29759) Cromford Churchyard, St Mary's Church, Cromford, (SMR33904) Roman lead pigs, Cromford Churchyard, (SMR33905)
- <1> SDR23288 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1999. 'Prehistoric and Roman mining in the Peak District- present knowledge and future research', Mining History: The Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society.
- <2> SDR18621 Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document.
- <3> SDR348 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T. 1895. History, Topography & Directory of Derby.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2997 5712 (80m by 64m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM