Grade II listed, early 18 to early 19th century Alms-houses, with a plaque that reads:- "These alms-houses were erected by Matthew Smith esquire in the year 1713 and rebuilt by Gregory Gregory esquire in the year 1829". The building is recessed from the road in a garden that is flanked by Nos 23 and 27. The building is built of coursed stone with quoins and has a hipped tiled roof with centre chimney, and there is an eaves band and an end band between floors carried on above the centre stone porch. The building has a centre gable with kneelers and cartouche, with the plaque below. The two storeys have four window symmetrically placed with stone mullions. The centre single storey stone porch has cornice and a blocking course, a single window and side doors. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1299007.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3523 4750 (14m by 8m)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.