Listed Building record MDR16457 - Barn to the north of Church Farmhouse, Dethick Lane, Dethick

Type and Period (1)

  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1567 AD to 1899 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A Grade II listed barn, probably late 16th century with alterations in the 17th and 19th centuries, constructed with regularly coursed squared gritstone with stepped angle buttresses to the north-west gable, with a slated roof. It has two storeys, formerly with a further overloft at the south-east end; and seven bays, the bays formerly delineated by shallow stepped buttresses, all of which have been removed, but with fragments of their masonry remaining embedded in the side walls. The north west gable has a doorway beneath a four centred arch to the centre of the ground floor, with flanking blocked openings. Above are two openings to the upper floor, one above the other; with roughly hewn massive jambs and 19th Century glazing. The other four centred arched heads are to openings to the first floor on the north-east wall, now concealed by a 20th century lean-to. There is an irregular pattern of later inserted openings to the ground floor of south west wall, but with three original taking-in doors with boarded shutters to the first floor. There is a glazed four centred arched opening to the south-east gable on the ground floor, and blocked openings to the first floor, flanking an internal shallow chimney breast. The interior has a double purlin roof with cambered tie beams and curved wind braces. There are some trusses with collars, but those to the north west end are modified, with vertical struts supporting purlin junctions at collar and yoke level, rising from tie and collar beams. One truss at the upper end of the barn is closed above the collar with vertical studs, and with mortices for studs between collar and tie beam. See list description for further details. (1) A long, two-storey rubble barn dating to the 16th-17th century stands to the north of the farmhouse. It is part of the old farm buildings of the Babington property. It originally had six buttresses with offsets each side, but these have now mostly gone. It has four centred headed doors in various places, and mullioned windows. It has a slate roof. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1373864.
  • <2> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 1/37, with photos.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3270 5800 (30m by 34m)
Civil Parish DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 4 2021 2:53PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.