St. Leonard's Church, Taxal, now called St. James. It has a 16th century west tower, with later 17th century turrets. The body of the church dates to 1825, and was restored in 1889 (chancel enlarged). (1)
Church is in normal use. An octagonal cross shaft inscribed ABEL 1708 in a probable earlier socket stone is at SK 0064 7979. See G.P's AO/66/10/7 and 8. (2)
There are two stone heads on the church tower on either side of the clock. "The church tower is of some antiquity and the heads and other masonry clearly predate the general fabric around them". The heads are very simple and possibly helmeted. (4)
The Parish Church of St James has a 16th century west tower, with a crenellated parapet and 17th century finials. There is one round-headed window of two lancet lights above an arched window of three lights above the door. The body of the church is 1825, and was restored and with chancel enlarged in 1889. There are five round-headed windows with dripmoulds. It has no aisles. Jodrell epitaphs are situated in the chancel. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 232.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-JAN-66.
Bibliographic reference: Petch, M. 1989. A List of Celtic Heads and Associated Sculpture in Derbyshire.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 81890.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0065 7980 (30m by 16m) (Centre)
WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 4:45PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.