SK 1319 7644 : WHESTON, VILLAGE CROSS The late 14th or 15th century wayside-cross or shrine at Wheston is locally considered to have stood originally at the three-way junction opposite Wheston Hall [SK 1327 7640] and to have been moved to its present site at Middleton House Farm in the 17th century. (3). Cross. (4).
The monument is a standing cross of probable 14th or 15th century date reputed originally to have stood at the T-junction in the centre of Wheston village. It is made of sandstone and comprises two steps of mortared blocks which are set beneath a socle or socket-stone surmounted by a cross-shaft which is in turn crowned by an ornate carved cross-head. The base step is c.2m square. The socle, which is 0.5m tall and 90cm square at the base, is a slightly tapering octagonal block with pyramidal stops on
alternate faces. The shaft is in two sections and is of tapering square section with chamfered edges. The cusped and decorated cross-head, which appears to be complete, incorporates on its west face a figure of the Virgin and Child with a star over the Virgin's head and sunbursts at the ends of the cross-arms. The cross-arms terminate in decorative mouldings. On the east face is the torso of Christ crucified incorporating much physical detail but deliberately lacking facial features. The overall height of the cross is c.3m with the shaft and cross-head accounting for c.2m. The cross, which was reputedly moved to its current location in the 17th century, has been repaired at some point and is also a Grade II* Listed feature. Inscribed on the top step on the east side is the graffito DJ 1811 or, possibly, DJB 1811. It is one of two medieval crosses which stood in or near Wheston, the other being located near Crossgate Farm on the road to Tideswell. (5).
Grade II* listed village cross dating fro the 15th century. It has a tapered stone shaft on a square base with chamfered angles and is standing on two steps. There is an elaborate head with cusped embellishments to the cross, which depicts the Crucifixion on one face and the Virgin and Child on the other. The cross was repositioned, having been moved from a nearby site. (6).
See G.P's - AO/65/213/7 & 8. (7) A description of the cross cited in the SMR differs from that given above in one detail, the shaft is said to stand on four steps, as opposed to two. The whole is said to have a height of 11.5ft. ()
Bibliographic reference: Rhodes, E. 1818. Peak Scenery. Volume 3, Part 1. p 97.
Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1875. Ancient Stone Crosses. pp 132-133.
Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1938. 'Ancient Monuments in Derbyshire, 1938' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59. pp 149-150.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15005.1.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 452.10A-14A, 30A-31A.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1319 7644 (18m by 18m) (Centre)
WHESTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2015 9:13AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.