Building record MDR1822 - Tideswell Grammar School, Tideswell
Type and Period (2)
- GRAMMAR SCHOOL (Georgian to Victorian - 1742 AD to 1900 AD)
- SCHOOL (Former Type) (Elizabethan to Georgian - 1560 AD to 1742 AD)
[SK 15267582] SCHOOL. (1) Tideswell Grammar School, in the churchyard, was built in 1742 and enlarged in 1824, it doubtless occupies the site of, and incorporates material from the original building of 1560. (2) No pre-1742 material survives in the exterior of the Grammar School. (3) The Old Grammar School [Formerly listed as The Old College (formerly Old Grammar School)]. Grade II listed School, dating from c.1740 but altered and enlarged in 19th century. It was built of regularly coursed squared limestone with gritstone dressings, projecting quoins, coped gables, moulded kneelers, off-centre ridge stack with moulded cap, and Welsh slated roof. Two storeys, four bays with stepped buttresses separating bays, and advanced entrance porches to ends with flat roofs and chamfered copings. 2-light flush mullioned windows,those to the ground floor with transoms, those to first floor with hoodmoulds and stops, all with C20 small paned casements. Plain doorways to returns of entrance porches, and blind - openings to porch south walls beneath hoodmoulds with stops. Single bay addition to east end with canted end. Stone stairway leads to first floor doorway. (5)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR368 Bibliographic reference: Middleton, T. 1933. History of Tideswell Grammar School.
- <3> SDR6319 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 20-JAN-66.
- <4> SDR15033 Index: NDAT. 1906. 1906.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1523 7582 (17m by 11m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TIDESWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 10:21AM