Monument record MDR1885 - Old Grove Sough, Bradshaw Lane, Foolow
Type and Period (2)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Stuart - 1712 AD to 1713 AD)
- VENTILATION SHAFT (Stuart - 1712 AD to 1713 AD)
- None recorded
This sough is also known as Foolow Edge Sough and the Miners Sough. Begun in February 1712, it reached Hucklow Edge vein in July 1713, discovering ore in the shale. It was an exploratory shale gate and pumpway 1900 ft long to the intersection of the vein. Two levels were driven in shale under the sough to locate the vein head. From February 1712 to September 1713, £634 was spent on the works. Bolt now run-in. (1). Eight shaft hillocks are visible, representing a line of ventilation shafts sunk to an 18th century exploratory shale gate and pumpway which was driven to seek traces of Hucklow Edge Vein within the shale above the vein. The most southerly hillock is the slightest, at c. 0.2m high, while the two most northerly hillocks are over 2m high. The difference in height represents the difference in the amount of rock that had to be excavated in order to reach the sough. The remainder of the hillocks are between 0.4m and 0.6m high and all are over 2m wide. Four of the hillocks have shaft hollows, the rest have been filled. Old Grove Sough was one of the first shale gates to be dug in order to find the eastward continuation of Hucklow Edge Vein. It was begun in 1712 and reached the vein in 1713. (4) The remains of Old Grove Sough have been identified as a high priority lead mining site. The early 18th century gate/pumpway, now blocked comprises a well preserved line of ventilation shaft mounds and reworked hillocks. (4).
- <1> SDR4843 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History and gazetteer of the lead mine soughs of Derbyshire. p 22.
- <2> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. C137 : Allen, W (record missing).
- <3> SDR19107 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1998-2001. Peak District National Park Authority Farm Surveys. 2001: 380.22-25.
- <4> SDR20372 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2001. Shepherd's Flat Farm, Eyam and Foolow, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2001. pp 9-10, Feature 38.
- <5> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. No. 31, pp 48-49.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1898 7759 (273m by 615m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||FOOLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2013 6:37PM