Monument record MDR2087 - Settlement and field system north of Brushfield Hough, Brushfield
Type and Period (4)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- LYNCHET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUILDING PLATFORM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1660 7175: Brushfield, Settlement: A series of small rectilinear enclosures making up an apparent settlement, possibly of Romano-British date. The remains comprise a series of low stone walls, grassed-over. (3). A field system or settlement of banks and lynchets which appear to form two different groups of enclosures. One group is comprised of rectilinear enclosures formed by earth and stony banks. To the east of this is a group of lynchets defining less regular shaped enclosures. It is difficult to identify whether the two sets of enclosures are contemporary or one is later than the other. They are attached at one point but are aligned on different directions. One set of lynchets forms a smaller rectangular enclosure which has been levelled internally and may be the site of a building. They are difficult to date and may have been used during the prehistoric, Romano-British or Medieval periods. (4). Brushfield Romano-British settlement. A large area, 100m by 60m which is comprised of evidence for clustered and rectangular buildings, entrances and possible platforms. There are also lynchets, rectilinear and irregular enclosures and possible double orthostatic walls. The dating is based on the relict nature of the site. (5).
- <1> SDR1242 Aerial Photograph: 1948. AP: SK1672/1.
- <2> SDR14639 Index: NDAT. 2128.
- <3> SDR14360 Index: NDAT. 0519.
- <4> SDR20307 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 1994. Brushfield Hough, Brushfield, Great Longstone, Ashford, Taddington and Sheldon Parishes, Derbyshire, Archaeological Survey, 1994. No. 1, p 11.
- <5> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. No. 036, pp 187-188.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1977: 2710.1-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1657 7164 (173m by 169m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRUSHFIELD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2009 3:36PM