Monument record MDR2123 - Romano-British settlement site, Litton Slack, Litton
Type and Period (5)
- ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FIELD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HUT CIRCLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ENCLOSED SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUILDING PLATFORM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
North of Litton Mill and west of the track leading up to Litton Slack are a series of earthworks visible on aerial photographs and, in 1976, from the opposite side of the valley. These appear to be various sub-rectangular enclosures with possible hut circles within and outside, and traces of rectangular, possibly Celtic, fields. The whole area might date to the Roman period. (1-5) The site occupies a small shelf at the valley top, with steep slopes below and a short, steep slope above. The preservation is good, with no indication that it has ever been ploughed-over. It comprises a central 'yard' defined on three sides by massive bank, with races of orthostatic construction on the inner face. In the north-east corner there is a probable rectangular house site, comprising a c.8m wide terrace cut into the slope. To either side of the 'yard' are further banks which define small area which may contain house sites. To the north-east is smaller yard with another probable house platform. To the south-west there are two to three further house sites. To the south is a shallow hollow-way. The settlement is probably Romano-British, although it may be a medieval hamlet. (6). Litton Slack settlement. The features include possible evidence for rectangular and round buildings and platforms, unclear building walls, lynchets, stone banks and coursed walls, gateways, terraces and rectilinear and sub-circular enclosures. The dating is based on the rectilinear fields. (7).
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1416, 1417.
- <2> SDR1241 Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record (English Heritage). 1948. Aerial photograph SK1672/1.
- <3> SDR20353 Aerial Photograph: AP: St Joseph, no. 111/171726.
- <4> SDR5713 Bibliographic reference: May, J (ed.). 1963. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 6. p 2.
- <5> SDR3664 Bibliographic reference: Butcher, L.H.: D102 (Butcher Collection, Sheffield City Museum)..
- <6> SDR20354 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. Bankfield House (Tideswell), Littonslack, Litton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1991. No. 1, p1.
- <7> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. Site 089, pp 27-28.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 159 732 (234m by 139m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LITTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2015 12:24PM