Site record MDR2163 - Former Grave Yard of the 17th to 19th Century Holy Trinity Church, Edale
Type and Period (2)
(Stuart to 21st Century - 1633 AD? to 2050 AD)
(Medieval to 21st Century - 1200 AD? to 2050 AD)
Loading documents & images
Former grave yard of the former 17th to 19th century Holy Trinity Church, Edale.
The irregularly shaped yard is shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880, south and east of the former 'Holy Trinity Church', which had been replaced by the standing Holy Trinity Church on the west side of the road in 1885.
The first chapel at Edale, however, was erected in 1633, and dedicated to the Holy and Undivided Trinity. That building became so dilapidated that it was taken down in 1812 and rebuilt in a barn-like style. (1) The latter was demolished in 1883, replaced by the standing building on the opposite side of the road in 1885. (2)
An 'old font,' reported to be of 13th century date, is in the northwest corner of the grave yard adjacent to where the former church had been. According to current Google imagery (Streetview) is is now being used as a flower pot. (2-3)
A late 17th century sundail is situated near the graveyards southern edge.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 159.
Article in serial: Cox, J C. 1905. The Athenaeum. No. 4052.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 03-SEP-65.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.