In 1887 a number of proposals were made to celebrate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria and to benefit the people of Glossop. Among these was the announced intention of the Wood family, cotton industrialists and prominent employers in the town, to provide a hospital, baths, and public park. Land was offered for the project by Lord Howard of Glossop, which amounted to about 12 acres (5ha) and included a small reservoir. The enterprise was thus an unusual example of combined Victorian philanthropy from prominent local industrial and landed persons. The site was formerly agricultural, known as Barker's Clough, and divided into two parts by a gully known as Robin Hood's Gutter. The design and laying out of the park was carried out by Henry Ernest Milner, with supervision by one of his principal foremen, Mr Martin. H E Milner's scheme shows a strong paternal influence from Edward Milner (1819-84) (Chadwick 1966; Bakewell & Dist Hist Soc 1982), who was one of the most prominent assistants trained and employed by Joseph Paxton (1903-65), and thus continues the strong influence and legacy of Paxton in Derbyshire. See NHLE decription for more details. (1)
*Internet Web Site: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/. NHLE no: 1001517.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0306 9497 (245m by 349m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2017 4:27PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.