Former showroom of the Bretby Art Pottery, Swadlincote Road, Swadlincote. (1)
The earliest map showing this pottery is the 2nd edition OS 25" map of 1901, where earlier unlabelled buildings had been replaced by a large complex labelled 'Bretby Art Pottery.' (2)
'The Bretby Art Pottery had commenced business in October 1883 in premises lent by TG Green's Church Gresley Pottery to the southwest of Swadlincote. The company was set up by Henry Tooth, an artist and former manager at Linthorpe Pottery near Middlesbrough and Henry Ault, a former manager at TG Green's Pottery who provided the initial financial input to fund Tooth's innovative pottery designs. The company, Tooth & Co. was an immediate success and soon outgrew the Church Gresley premises, and in 1885 moved to new premises a the site of the former brick yard… ' (3)
Subsequent OS mapping shows the complex extended and grew over time, until OS mapping dating to 1960 shows it at its fullest extent, with a separated 'Works' in the southwest area. By the time of OS mapping dating to 1980 the buildings are no longer labelled.
The full complex is last shown on Google imagery (aerial photographs) dating to 2006, and it had been largely demolished by the time imagery dating to 2010 was produced.
That part which had been the pottery's showroom survives as a Grade II listed building.
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SWADLINCOTE ROAD 1. 5174 (south side) Bretby Art Pottery Showroom SK 31 NW 4/17
2. Early C20. Built as showroom for Bretby Art Pottery. A small building, slightly recessed from street boundary and attached to works at rear. Art nouveau influence. Of glazed red brick and pyramidal tiled roof with finial, gabled to left above showroom window. Street elevation, one storey with window and door. Gable has finial and bargeboards on brick corbels, with tie beam and balusters as queen posts. Flattened elliptical arch to shop window set in brick recess. Glazing bars to tripartite stained glass top light. Panelled door has glazed top light with name and trademark of pottery. Large letter box at side as part of composition. Copper strip above with Art nouveau lettering. Interior has good fireplace, panelled doors and pottery showroom with painted doors, murals and decorative metalwork.
Listing NGR: SK3116319168.' (4)
Unpublished document: Cobbold, T (ARS Ltd). 2018. Archaeological Works at the Former Bretby Art Pottery, Woodville.
Article in serial: Brown, R B. 1987. 'Three South Derbyshire Art potters', Journal of the Northern Ceramics Society. Vol. 6, pp 193-217, illust..
Map: OS. 1901. OS County Series 1:10560, Sheet Derbys LVIII NW. Second Edition 1901, revised 1899. 1:10560.
Unpublished document: Brown, A (ARS Ltd). 2016. An Archaeological Desk-based Assessment of the Site of the Bretby Art Pottery, Woodville, South Derbyshire. 6.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205017.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.