Former site of doubling shop, Lombe's Silk Mill, Sowter Road, Derby, built in the 1720s.
An unpowered workshop building in which the silk spun at Lombe's Mill was twisted and doubled, so that it could be woven into fabric. The workshops were built to an Italian design, to the south of the water-powered silk mill, some time in the period 1721-24. Due to the marshy nature of the land, the workshops were built on wooden piles. The building took the form of a long structure orientated north - south. Most of the building was of three floors, containing the doublers workshop, but a taller compting house, with two floors, stood at the north end. It is believed that the workshops operated throughout most of the 18th and 19th centuries, but the building collapsed in the 1890s as the piles on which it had been constructed had rotted away. (1)
The foundation of the building was identified during excavations in 2008. (1)
Unpublished document: Baker, S and A Tinsley (ARCUS). 2008. Archaeological watching brief at Cathedral Green, Full Street, Derby.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.