Monument record MDR2301 - Peakshole Sough, Goosehill Hall, Castleton
Type and Period (2)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WOODEN ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Also known as Slop Moll sough. Probably intended originally to drain five to six parallel veins crossing Peak Cavern gorge by driving a shallow sough to intersect each vein at right angles. Individual branches could then be driven as appropriate. When the natural water course known as Slop Moll was intersected in November 1771, the 'old level' stopped. Subsequent excavation concentrated on Peaks Hole Sough driven along the South Vein and Sough Vein. This branch level, started 1771, was treble purpose, drainage, haulage and exploratory adit. It was aimed at mines and veins on the north flank of Cowlow hill and maybe Longcliffe mine. Sough abandoned in 1783 after only 300yds was completed, costing £564. Lead recovered in the process was valued at £92. The three quite separate titles of Peaks Hole Sough, Longcliffe Mine and Hourdlo Stile Mine were consolidated in 1783 but the purpose behind the move is unclear. (1) Drainage adit, interesting small pipe, working with excellent fluorite and calcite mineralisation. Wooden cartgate dating from 1770-1775. Unique. (2) Peakshole Sough. Underground remains of a gated sough with small vein and pipe workings above. At the inner end of the sough are the rare remains of an intact timber plankway above the level of the water. (3)
- <1> SDR16407 Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire. p 6.
- <2> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Rieuwerts: 1987.
- <3> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. No. U3, p 192.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1481 8268 (24m by 29m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2015 12:02PM