Stone structure at orchard wall of Snitterton Hall, South Darley, probably built in 1861.
During a program of works involving test pitting, a watching brief and an excavation, carried out in 2010 during the partial dismantling and rebuilding of the orchard wall, a small stone building was revealed. 'The structure comprised a foundation built into the 17th century stone boundary wall. The structure comprised a two room plan, and changes in the fabric of the boundary wall corresponded to the foundations, indicating that the wall had been altered and rebuilt, which was confirmed by the discovery of an inscribed date stone of 1861 during the watching brief. The excavations have confirmed that the structure was associated with the cultivation and growing of plants. The brick flues and ash pits identified in the central dividing wall suggest that the building had been heated, presumably by a stove. Two stone pads positioned against the inner face of the boundary wall are interpreted as seatings for rootstocks,…The use of the garden building appears to have been short lived. A brick wall and ceramic drains associated with the structure, together with a halfpenny found on top of the demolition layer, serve to date both the origin and demise of the structure within the 19th century.' (1)
Unpublished document: Jessop, O (Wessex). 2011. Snitterton Hall Orchard, Matlock, Derbyshire: Archaeological Investigations Assessment Report.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.