(Victorian to 21st Century - 1880 AD? to 2018 AD?)
Loading documents & images
North building to the rear of Devonshire Arms, Market Place, Hartington Town Quarter, a 19th century building.
The building is not shown on the 1804 'Map of the Allotments referred to in the annexed Award and old inclosures in the parish of Hartington,' and first appears on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880.
Local residents report that this and the northern building operated as a small dairy supplying milk to the village hotels. It was subject to a historic fabric survey in 2018: 'Building A …is built of limestone rubble with contrasting sandstone corner quoins, door reveals, window heads and sills under a plain tile roof. On the north facing fable is an external stone-built stair providing loft access, below the stairs is a small entrance, in all likelihood a dog kennel. …The south facing gable is largely concealed by A", a lean to building. There is a window at first floor level, in all probability originally a pitching door for a hayloft. …Internally, the former shippon has tethering for six cows in three double stalls along the rear wall. The boskins are concrete-built with steel tether bars , this along with the concrete floor and wall render indicate the building was in use as a milking parlour in the mid 20th century when carious Ministry of Agriculture hygiene acts were enforced…' (1)
Unpublished document: Richards, G (ABRS). 2018. An Archaeological Building Survey, Outbuildings to the Rear of Grove Cottage, The Market Place, Hartington, Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 12823 60370 (point)
HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.