Building record MDR23537 - Former Sunday School to Rear of Wesleyan Methodist Church, Chapel Street, Belper
Type and Period (2)
(Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1841 AD to 1950 AD?)
(Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2050 AD)
Loading documents & images
Former Sunday School to Rear of Wesleyan Methodist Church, Chapel Street, Belper, built in 1841.
Extract from White's Directory (1857): 'The Wesleyan Chapel, Chapel Street, is a handsome stone building, erected in 1807, and will seat 1,400 persons. In 1841, a large school-room was erected behind the chapel, at which 100 children attend, and on Sunday, 200. In 1844, an organ was placed in the gallery behind the pulpit, and two large burial grounds are attached, with a house for the minister. The whole cost has been about £5,500.' (1)
Later in the 19th century the burial ground extended to the rear of the Sunday School. (2)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.