Listed Building record MDR9714 - Belper Central Methodist Church, Chapel Street, Belper
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian to 21st Century - 1807 AD to 2050 AD)
Belper Central Methodist Church, Chapel Street, Belper, built in 1807. 'An earlier chapel lay immediately to the north of the present church, on approximately the site of No. 16 Chapel Street. It is shown on an early 19th century map as 'Old Chapel pulled down', with the present building marked 'New Methodist Chapel'. A burial ground is depicted between the chapel and the road.' (1) Extract from White's Directory (1857): 'The Wesleyan Chapel, Chapel Street, is a handsome stone building, erected in 1807, and will seat 1,400 persons. In 1841, a large school-room was erected behind the chapel, at which 100 children attend, and on Sunday, 200. In 1844, an organ was placed in the gallery behind the pulpit, and two large burial grounds are attached, with a house for the minister. The whole cost has been about £5,500.' (2) Later in the 19th century the burial ground extended to the rear of the Sunday School. (3) 'The chapel, a large square building, opened in 1825, replaced the one registered in 1798. The walls are of squared stone with an ashlar front and the hipped roof, formerly slate, is now tiled. The east front is of five bays with a three-bay pedimented centre, porch with pilasters and pediment, and two tiers of plain sash windows. The rear wall has a later polygonal projection partly covering the sites of two former windows. West of the chapel is a brick Sunday-school dated 1841.' (4) The present Central Methodist Church dates from 1807. (5) From the National Heritage List for England: 'This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21 March 2022 to update text and reformat to current standards SK 3447 SE 1/10 CHAPEL STREET (West side ) Central Methodist Church (Formerly listed as Trinity Methodist Church) 3.2.66. GV II Circa 1835. Stone chapel with symmetrical facade approached from street through churchyard. Ashlar, two storeys. Five windows, sashed with glazing bars. Centre slightly advanced under pediment. Cornice and blocking course. Centre solid Tuscan porch, the doorcase with pilasters and pediment. Interior modernized save for original gallery on three sides with panelled front. Gallery supported on posts. Fine organ. Many memorial tablets and monuments. Listing NGR: SK3464347326.' (6)
- <1> SDR19525 Map: Hicking, J (surveyor). 1805-1818. Part of the liberties of Belper, Duffield and Makeney .. with alterations to Strutt Estate to about 1818.
- <2> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.1, 1900.
- <4> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. 34.
- <5> SDR19448 Bibliographic reference: Barrass, A.. 1994. Belper. Looking into the Past. 36.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1081535?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 34643 47326 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2022 12:42PM