Monument record MDR2380 - Moorfurlong Lead Mine, north-east of Moorbrook View, Bradwell
Type and Period (4)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHAFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WASHING FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUDDLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 167 812: Moorfurlong Lead Mine: Moorfurlong lead mine, with shaft and pipe workings. A hand-picked shaft to old, and in some cases, very small pipe workings (17th century). There are remains of underground washing floors in pipe caverns. (1). The main shafts are at this NGR (SK 1682 8116) and are lidded. (3) Moorfurlong Mine, centre point SK 168812. Identified as a site of regional and national importance where the primary archaeological interest is underground. The extent of the area of interest at the surface is 1 hectare. A shaft in a hillock leads to extensive pipe workings with an underground dressing floor with what appear to be stone-lined sieving or buddling troughs. (5)
- <1> SDR14346 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 0403.. 0403.
- <2> SDR16294 Bibliographic reference: Willies, L : pers. comm.: 14-Jan-1970..
- <3> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. C30.
- <4> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Moorfurlong Mine.
- <5> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. Site U5, p 193.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 16784 81187 (28m by 27m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRADWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 11:56AM