Building record MDR2507 - St Laurence's Church, Station Lane, Walton on Trent
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Saxon to Mid 20th Century - 410 AD to 1950 AD)
There is no church mentioned in the Domesday Survey for Walton-on-Trent, but one must have been erected here shortly afterwards. The church consists of nave, south aisle, south transept or chantry, chancel, and tower at the west end of the nave. Unsympathetic repairs and addition were made in 1827. The only definite Norman remains are to be found in the outer south wall of the nave, where, just above the foundations, is a wall-plate, ornamented with saw-tooth moulding. It is believed that the positioning of this moulding is almost unique. A round-headed doorway in the north wall that is now blocked up also appears to be of Norman date. A base and a capital of a Norman door shaft now rest on the sill of one of the chantry windows. The chancel was built in the Early English style of the early 13th century, and was effectually restored in 1862. The spacious chantry was built in 1334, and contains Decorated windows. The fine embattled tower was built at the commencement of the Perpendicular style, circa 1400. (1) St Laurence's Church has a Perpendicular west tower, a late Norman arcade, and a 13th century chancel. (3) A grade II* listed parish church dating to the late 12th and 13th centuries, circa 1334, and the 15th century. It was restored by Street in 1868, also with early 20th century additions and alterations. It comprises an ashlar tower, transept and vestry, with coursed rubble stone elsewhere; plus a moulded plinth to the tower and south transept, and a plain plinth elsewhere. There are steeply-pitched plain tile roofs to the nave, chancel and south transept, with a stone coped eastern gable to the chancel on moulded stone kneelers, and a slate roof to the south aisle. The church consists of a three-stage Perpendicular west tower, a nave with a late 12th century south aisle, a south transept, a 1934 north vestry, and lower 13th century chancel. See list description for more details. (6) Between 1986 and 1987 a graveyard survey was undertaken as part of a Community Programme Scheme. (7) The church of St Laurence stands on the western fringe of the village, some 150m from a bridge across the Trent. A church and a priest's house are mentioned in Domesday Book, at which time Walton was a royal manor. During the 20th century a number of alterations have been made to the fabric of the church, some of which have provided evidence of the earliest phases of the building. One of these was the removal of stucco which hid various details of the stonework; another was the re-opening of a round-headed doorway during the construction of a vestry. Recent reassessment of the church has identified a number of different features that indicate the building is of Saxon origin. (8) A bell in St Laurence's is historically significant. Dating from circa 1380, the founder or founding establishment are unknown. (9)
- <1> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 505-13.
- <2> SDR6294 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 04-AUG-66.
- <3> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 348-9.
- <4> SDR17509 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2505. 2505.
- <5> SDR17510 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, H. Domesday of Derbyshire.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82984.
- <7> SDR19536 Archive: Kelemko-Burton, R (South Derbyshire Archaeological Survey). 1987. Survey of Memorials of Churches of Walton-on-Trent and Coton-in-the-Elms.
- <8> SDR18885 Article in serial: Wardle, C. 1994. 'Evidence for the Anglo-Saxon date of the Church of St. Laurence, Walton-on-Trent', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 114, pp 10-13.
- <9> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2158 1823 (35m by 24m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WALTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2015 8:24AM