Building record MDR2567 - St Mary's Church (formerly St John's), Marston Lane, Marston on Dove
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1200 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1200 AD to 1900 AD)
(SK 23322963) St. John's Church. (1) A church and a priest are recorded at Marston-on-Dove in Domesday Book. The church consists of chancel, nave, side aisles and tower, surmounted by a lofty spire. It contains a massive lead-lined font that probably belonged to the Domesday church. Another vestige of the early church, in the form of the top stone of a small round-headed light, is now built into the wall of the north aisle. The body of the church was probably rebuilt in around 1200, with the south aisle added in c. 1350. Thre are 15th century windows in the north aisle. "In 1816 much havoc was made with this once fine church" including the destruction of a fine stone porch and of the chancel arch. (2) St Mary. The church has a 13th century chancel, wide, with lancet windows and a small south doorway with one order of colonnettes. There is an early 14th century south aisle and and an ashlar-faced 14th century west tower. The north side of the nave was altered in the 15th century when the clerestory was built. The church possesses the oldest bell in Derbyshire (1366). (3) In normal use. (4) Some features of the church have been photographed. (6) Two of the bells in St John's (now St Mary's) are of historical significance. One made by J de Stafford of Leicester dates from cica 1370. The other is a 1621 example of the work of H III Oldford, a rare founder. (7)
- <1> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 201-207.
- <3> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 271.
- <4> SDR6388 Personal Observation: F1 JB 24-JUN-66.
- <5> SDR15025 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust: 2564. 2564.
- <6> SDR23396 Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Feature in St Mary's Church, Marston on Dove.
- <7> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2331 2963 (33m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MARSTON ON DOVE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 3 2015 12:11PM