Monument record MDR2584 - Cropmarks east of Dale Farm, Willington
Type and Period (7)
- PIT ALIGNMENT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- None recorded
SK 299 291. Cropmarks. Parts of two concentric hexagonal (?) enclosures with smaller rounded and rectangular ones overlapping. Pit alignment intersects. (1, 2) Under crop no visual remains. (3) Linear cropmark including short length of possible pit alignment, as well as small sub-rectangular enclosure. Further possible enclosure to north east. (4, 5) Ridge and furrow to the west. Cropmarks plotted on map overlay, 1:10,000. (6) A number of cropmarks were identified in this area during an aerial photographic mapping survey carried out in 2009/10. They were mostly identified as later prehistoric and Iron Age/Roman field boundaries. The later prehistoric pit alignment was also identified [see SMR 27953]. Medieval ridge and furrow earthworks were identified to the west. (7)
- <1> SDR9 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1960. A Matter of Time.
- <2> SDR836 Aerial Photograph: A/P (J.K. St. Joseph, VW 56-7).
- <3> SDR6391 Personal Observation: F1 JB 25-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR18554 Index: TPAT 2023, 2028.
- <5> SDR18555 Aerial Photograph: 1970. NMR aerial photograph: Pickering, J, 2928/3, 4, 5; 18A/265 3029/3,4,5,13.
- <6> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <7> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 29857 29101 (360m by 430m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WILLINGTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2018 1:38PM