Monument record MDR272 - Cave, Ashwood Dale, Buxton
Type and Period (1)
- CAVE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 0689 7291: Ashwood Dale, Cave: [Area SK 069 730 - sited from map in 1] A small cave on the north side of Ashwood Dale and about a mile from Buxton was excavated in 1895. It is about 60 ft. above the railway in the south face of a bold escarpment of limestone at 1,000 ft. above sea level. An iron buckle of Roman type, a piece of leather, a flint flake, a few small pieces of iron, animal bones and charcoal were found. (1) Doubtfully Roman. (2) Immediately east of the Sewage Works. Go up path under bridge and cave is high on right. Probably the cave dug in 1895. (3) A cave with a small entrance situated at SK 0689 7291. (4)
- <1> SDR15837 Bibliographic reference: Turner, W. 1899. Ancient Remains near Buxton. 75-76.
- <2> SDR7085 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. Victoria County History: Derbyshire, Vol.1. p. 238.
- <3> SDR6713 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T D. 1964. Caves of Derbyshire. p. 12.
- <4> SDR6350 Personal Observation: F1 JB 02-FEB-66.
- <6> SDR14382 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 0542.. 0542.
- <7> SDR16194 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1900. 'On Mr Salt's diggings around Buxton', Journal of the British Archaeological Association. Volume 6.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0689 7291 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 3 2018 4:56PM