Southsitch House, Wirksworth Road, Idridgehay and Alton, built in 1621 over a possible earlier core.
'Southsitch House is dated 1621 but is quite probably older. The house has exposed posts and part timber framing and a thatched roof. A very rare example of a timber framed house in this part of England.' (1)
Southsitch is "an uncommonly good timber-framed house..." (2)
'A private residence which is in very good condition with an addition to the north-east dated 1842. See GP's AO/66/7/5 & 6.' (3)
'A small timber framed gentleman's house, L-shaped, two storeys, and attractive close-studding under a thatched roof. The main block bears the inscription G(eorge and) M(illicent) M(ellor) 1621, but it is quite possibly older. The Mellors inherited the estate in the 15th century from the heiress of Haye and held it consistently until the early 19th century.' (4)
'Southsitch is a miraculous survival of a small hall house. It took on its present form in 1621 but the date (on the fabric) represents a fairly major renewal rather than the building of a fresh house. The south front, which is of two storeys and attics, is of three bays, timber-framed and close-studded. The entrance is slightly to the right of the centre, east of the central hearth place which is later (and unusually) encased in timber framing. The well-preserved interior contains traces of the original open hall house, occupying the west two bays, with later apartments to the east.' (5)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/04/2020
SK 24 NE 3/54
PARISH OF IDRIDGEHAY AND ALTON WIRKSWORTH ROAD South Sitch
13.2.67 II* House. Dated 1621 but with evidence of an earlier house within, and with additions in 1842. Close studded timber framed main range, rising from a stone plinth, with off-centre brick ridge intermediate stack, and gabled thatched and tiled roof with scalloped ridge.
Two bay front with angle braces to centre and ends at first floor level. C20 casement frames with leaded lights in enlarged openings. North west end of ground floor single storey C20 with thatched roof, south east end of C20 glazed conservatory. C19 gabled open porch to off-centre doorway, with four-centred arched head, and thatched roof.
Oak door with gothic glazing to upper part, within the porch. North west gable end has four and five-light and blocked five-light mullioned windows. South east gable has small four-light attic window, three-light mullioned first floor window, and enlarged ground floor windows. Gable has slightly cambered tie beam, and angle braces from joweled corner post. North west gable beam has date 1621 and initials of George and Millicent Mellor. Roughcast two storeyed wing to north east, dated 1842, with stone slated roof, with gabled porch bearing date on four-centred arched lintel and intermediate ridge stack of brick with octagonal shafts.
Interior: much exposed timber framing, with substantial ceiling spine beams and joists. Good C17 stone hearth to corner at north west end. Newel staircase, and a timber framed smoke hood to attic.
Listing NGR: SK2881048709''