Monument record MDR296 - Possible Medieval building complex, King Sterndale
Type and Period (4)
- LINEAR EARTHWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
SK 095 721: King Sterndale, Earthworks: SK 095718. Medieval village/building complex. Rectilinear ditch and bank open-field boundaries traverse King Sterndale village. (1) A field bank with adjacent road, and some surface quarrying are visible. There are no surface indications of desertion although the isolated church and school suggest former habitation. (2) Traces of ground disturbance are visible at SK 094717. (3,4)
- <1> SDR7982 Bibliographic reference: James, C and Butcher, L H. 1962. East Midlands Archaeology Bulletin. Vol. 5, p 8.
- <2> SDR6379 Personal Observation: F1 JB 20-JAN-66.
- <3> SDR13328 Personal Observation: R2 JSH 03-NOV-83.
- <4> SDR12108 Aerial Photograph: OS. 1970. A.P's: 70 424 344-5.
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1366.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 095 720 (289m by 304m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||KING STERNDALE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2017 3:11PM