Mouldridge Grange belonged to Dunstable Priory, 1215 AD. (1).
There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (2).
Mouldridge Grange is an enclosure with small platforms on the west side. At least one of these conceals a rectangular stone structure. (3).
The grange was established in the 12th or early 13th centuries and was in use until the 16th century. The earthworks define the edges of a series of small enclosures. Around the perimeter of the grange, there is a bank or lynchet 0.6 metres high. Just to the south of the farmhouse, there are south-west to north-east running lynchets. Between these lynchets are short lynchets defining the edges of yards or enclosures. Buildings may have exist in two of these enclosures, although there is no evidence of building platforms. There is a short embanked gully and to the south-west of the enclosure are two mounds, possibly dating from the mid 1990s. The name Mouldridge Grange is marked on a plan of Brassington moor of 1720. (4).
Scheduled. The monument includes the earthworks and buried remains of a medieval monastic grange which was probably abandoned in the 16th century. The grange was a farmstead dependent on the Augustinian priory of Dunstable and was founded on land which was good for both arable and stockrearing. The remains of buildings and stock enclosures are visible as upstanding earthworks in the slight hollow to the south of the present Mouldridge Grange Farm. To the south and east of the farm there are traces of a boundary bank standing up to 0.3 metres high and 8 metres wide at the base, which take advantage of a terrace overlooking the site. To the west of the site a natural shelf defines the western side of the grange enclosure. In the eastern corner of the enclosed area is a well and in the centre there is a pond which may also be a feature of the original grange farm. (5).
To the north and west of the scheduled area, further earthworks have been identified from aerial photographs taken in 1984. (6)
Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (7)
Bibliographic reference: English Place Name Society.
Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 201 592 (416m by 290m)
BRASSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 26 2019 7:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.