Monument record MDR3169 - Oxclose lead mine, Snitterton Road, Snitterton, South Darley
Type and Period (4)
- LEAD MINE (Tudor to Post Medieval - 1530 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Stuart to Victorian - 1712 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1900 AD to 2000 AD)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Tudor to Post Medieval - 1530 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Oxclose Mine is an old lead mine complex entered via a shaft close to Leawood Cottage. It is of regional recreational importance to cavers and is also of interest to mining historians and minerologists. (1) This is an 18th century mine but reworked in the 1940s and 1950s by Derbyshire Stone (Matlock Mines). It gives access to a large number of pipe and vein workings on the north slope of Masson, and is of geological and historical interest. (2) At the Oxclose Mines there are the lower walls of a Newcomen engine house and a nearby cinder heap. Underground features at Oxclose Mine include extensive pipe workings, a fine coffin level sough known as the Crowholt Level, and a 20th century inclined tramway. There are many inscriptions, the earliest dating to 1623. Oxclose Mines are documented as working in the 1530s. The site has surface evidence for the relative age of mining and medieval strip lynchets/ridge and furrow [see also Oxclose, Lee Wood, Lee Close, and Noon Nick Lead Mines SMR 12762]. (5)
- <1> SDR4801 Bibliographic reference: desc text : PPJPB : PPT : Mellors, P : 11/1979 : C43.
- <2> SDR4834 Bibliographic reference: desc text : PPJPB : Willies,L : 8/12/1973 : C43.
- <3> SDR19318 Article in serial: Willies, L.. 5/12/1973. Peak District Mines Historical Society.
- <4> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Oxclose Mine, Matlock.
- <5> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. pp. 135-7, site no. 100.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2763 6001 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH DARLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 11 2017 3:40PM