Building record MDR3189 - St Michael's Church, Kniveton
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Edwardian - 1100 AD to 1907 AD)
The true dedication of Kniveton church is to St. John the Baptist, as stated by Dr. Pegge in his Collections, and as we are assured in the Liber Regis; but modern directories and the notice-board call St. Michael the patron saint. (1) St. Michael's church, Kniveton, has a 13th century west tower and a Norman south doorway. All the windows are renewed. (2) In normal use as St. Michael's (this dedication is local usage and the incumbents preference). (3) This church dates to the 12th century, 13th century, and c. 1663, with restoration work in 1870, and the vestry added in 1907. It is built of coursed rubble gritstone with ashlar dressings. It has a shallow pitched lead roof, with stone coped gables at the east and west ends and over the chancel arch. The church comprises nave and chancel, vestry, west tower and south porch. It has a plain 12th century south doorway with chamfered imposts. The west tower dates to the late 13th century, and has a small lancet window and plain chambered door to the nave. The tower also has square-headed two-light bell openings, battlements and a short spire, which are perp or later. The north and south walls of the church both have irregular fenestration - all windows are square-headed, some without divisions, and others with chamfered mullions. All are probably mid 17th century in date. Inside the church is a 13th century font, with a circular bowl that has pointed trefoils supported on a base of clustered columns. The date 1663 apparently refers to the time of its restoration to the church. It might also be the date when the windows were renewed. The west gallery is early 19th century in date, on two cast iron columns. There are 19th century poppy heads on the benches. On the nave north wall is an aedicule wall monument to Greenwood Holmes 1779. There are four 19th century stained glass windows. (4)
- <1> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. p 507.
- <2> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 171.
- <3> SDR6299 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80128.
- <5> SDR9772 Index: NDAT. 1381. 1381.
- <6> SDR12596 Bibliographic reference: Pegge's. Pegge, S. (No other details).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2100 5039 (21m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||KNIVETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2011 11:09AM