Building record MDR3197 - All Saints Church, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
All Saint's Chapel is of early Norman origin, but was restored in 1882 and 1888. The east and south nave window are apparently late 15th century. The south doorway has simple imposts and a slightly chamfered arch. The chancel arch is completely unmoulded on simple imposts. There is a possible blocked north doorway and west window. The font is octagonal and perpendicular with shields and tracery motifs, though strangely most of them upside down. (1,2,5) [SK 2038 5443] All Saints' Church. (3) During a survey in 1966, the church was recognised to be in normal use but the services are only twice monthly. No pre-medieval fabric could be identified. (4) The church falls within a scheduled area as a medieval settlement was originally located within this region. (7) Church bell is of historical significance as it dates from the 14th century. The founder remains unknown. (8)
- <1> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 439-440.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p331.
- <3> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <4> SDR6299 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-MAY-66.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p80.
- <6> SDR9501 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0182. 0182.
- <7> SDR20097 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1989. Scheduling Notification: medieval village and field system immediately south of Ballidon. Cat. No.: 279.
- <8> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2039 5443 (17m by 11m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 29 2015 3:50PM