Monument record MDR343 - Route of the Buxton to Melandra Roman road within Buxton parish
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
The Roman road north out of Buxton has been traced across Fairfield Common by fieldwork and excavation in 1959-1960. (1, 2) The camber is visible at SK 0668 7433, south of Nunsfield Farm. (3) The course of the Roman road in the built-up part of Buxton is unknown at present, but one certain point is the Bulls Head Inn at the southern end of an alignment from the north. Stones relating to the road were reported to have been uncovered in the past. To the north of the Bulls Head there are houses on the line before the alignment is overlaid by a road running towards Nun Farm. A conspicuous hump can be seen in a paddock to the south of Nun Farm over the wall on the west side of this road. This wall closely follows the road, here now flanked on the east by a golf course. Several partial sections were dug along here by other archaeologists revealing a well-made road. Little can be seen until the line drops down to cross a gully beyond which is Brook House. The ground is raised on the approach to the gully, which is crossed at right-angles by a lane to Turner Lodge. Past the gully the road climbs towards Brook House as a raised embankment, becoming a terrace cut into the flank of the hill. Brook House is built on the alignment and the road continues onwards through the fields towards Tomthorn, being well preserved as a raised agger all the way. (4) The camber of the Roman road is visible as a hump in the paddock south of Nunsfield Farm [formerly Nun Farm], and the road is also preserved as a minor road running alongside Fairfield Church. In 2011 a 20m by 2.5m trench was cut across the line of the road south of the paddock, at approx. SK 06667426, in advance of pipeline groundworks. However, no significant remains were revealed, despite the trench being extended to the full width of the easement strip. (5) See SMR 6506 for a continuation of the road through Wormhill parish to the north.
- <1> SDR14483 Index: NDAT. 1018. 1018.
- <2> SDR4528 Article in serial: Bellhouse, M A. 1975. 'A Roman road in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Miscellany. Volume 7, pp 108-110.
- <3> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2388.
- <4> SDR19961 Unpublished document: Wroe, P. 1999. A Roman Road between Buxton and Melandra Castle, Glossop. HER Doc. No. 981, pp 10-11.
- <5> SDR21357 Unpublished document: Thompson, J (Wessex Archaeology). 2012. Buxton Pipeline, Buxton, Derbyshire. Archaeological Watching Brief. HER Doc. No. 1490.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 06813 74663 (607m by 1586m)|
|Civil Parish||BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2022 11:13AM