Monument record MDR3469 - Alleged earthwork enclosure and barrow, Moatless Plantation, Calton Pastures, Edensor
Type and Period (4)
- ENCLOSURE (Former Type) (Unknown date)
- BARROW (Former Type) (Unknown date)
- PLANTATION (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1800 AD)
- CARRIAGEWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Behind the site of the Ball Cross hillfort the ground rises to an oval enclosure called Moatless Plantation (called Motelowe in 1344). This may itself be a mutilated earthwork. (1). The centre of the plantation has a low mound which could be a ruined tumulus. (2). The trees have been cleared from this natural hillock which has an engineered perimeter. No traces of an antiquity were noted. (3) Moatless Plantation is a decorative hilltop planting, designed for its landscape impact. It has existed since at least 1785 and it may be part of the documented plantings that took place on Calton Pasture in the 1730s; the present trees are a relatively recent replanting. It was suggested by Stanley (Authority 1 above) that Moatless Plantation has a mutilated earthwork enclosure around its top. The Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards also note the possibility that there was a barrow in the centre of the plantation. These observations are a combination of a misinterpretation of the carriage drive in this area, together with a presumption of the former presence of a barrow on the basis of the place name and/or a comment by Bateman in reference to a barrow dug by Rooke in the late 18th century. The carriage drive came from Chatsworth Park, with its destination being a large turning circle around the summit of Moatlow, providing extensive views for the Dukes and their visitors. It is this turning circle that has been misinterpreted, as the grass covered drive is about 8m wide and often has steep lynchets at its sides. As far as the postulated barrow is concerned, the hill was recorded in 1344 as Moatlow, and may have been a place where local 'moots' or meetings were held (presumably in the Saxon period). The suffix 'low' commonly applies to barrows, but it can equally mean 'hill' and therefore the former presence of a barrow should not be assumed. This is not to say that such a monument never existed here, only that there is no positive indication that this is so The reference by Bateman has been misinterpreted and the barrow in question is probably well to the south [see SMR 5106]. (6)
- <1> SDR4444 Article in serial: Stanley, J. 1954. 'An Iron Age Fort at Ball Cross Farm, Bakewell', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 74. p 87.
- <2> SDR4054 Personal Observation: D Bramwell. Corr 6" (D Bramwell, 21.5.50).
- <3> SDR6112 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 21-FEB-66.
- <4> SDR9679 Index: NDAT. 0841. 0841.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 5112.1.
- <6> SDR20313 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J and H Taylor (PDNPA). 2000. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Inbye Land: Archaeological Survey 1999-2000. p 169, Feature 43.18; p 173, Feature 43.35.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 231 691 (249m by 137m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EDENSOR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2015 6:08PM