Monument record MDR3471 - Round barrow, Grindlow, Over Haddon
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2026 6699] The remains of Grindlow, near Over Haddon, originally a large cairn 25 yards across, were partially excavated on the 4th May 1849 when human bones, a broken lance head of flint and a boar's tusk were found. (1). GRIND LOW TUMULUS (Human Remains & Lancehead found). (2). GRIND LOW (3). The barrow became a scheduled monument on the 3rd July 1933. Grindlow bowl barrow is situated on the eastern shelves south of Wye Dale on the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. The monument includes a large sub-circular cairn measuring 27m by 23½m and surviving to a height of c.1½m. Formerly, the barrow would have been somewhat higher and more uniformly round. However, the site has been ploughed over in the past, as can be seen from the remains of ridge and furrow over and around the mound. In 1849 a partial excavation of the barrow was carried out by Thomas Bateman and a broken flint lancehead was found along with the disturbed remains of at least one inhumation. From this, a Bronze Age date has been assigned to the barrow. (4). Published 25" survey correct. (5). Round barrow, 27m in length, 23½m in breadth and 1m in height, located at the south edge of a ridge crest, with good visibility to the southeast and distant views. It has been extensively robbed for stone in its interior. The site lies within medieval strip fields and a lynchet truncates the barrow on the east. The barrow was excavated by Bateman on the 4th May 1848 , when he discovered disturbed, broken human remains, a broken 'lance head of flint' and part of a boar's tusk. (8). Photographic record. (9)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p48.
- <2> SDR11791 Map: 1923. O.S. 6".
- <3> SDR11793 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <4> SDR726 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 31.
- <5> SDR6112 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 21-FEB-66.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p82.
- <7> SDR9448 Index: NDAT. 0126. 0126.
- <8> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 6:5.
- <9> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 11401.1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2026 6699 (21m by 19m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OVER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2007 10:14AM