A large wedge-shaped enclosure revealed on an aerial photograph. It has 18th century field boundaries overlying its south-east corner. There are a number of irregular internal features. The enclosure appears to be raised well above the surrounding meadows. (1).
This has been suggested to be the site of Edward the Elder's Borough [Burgh] on the basis of place name evidence, a medieval charter and field observations. The site is described as an earth bank, 6 to 7m wide with a 4m wide ditch forming a large arc, the open end towards the flood plain. (3). This tallies with the aerial photograph evidence which indicates the enclosure has relatively straight sides and is undefined towards the river. (4).
Stetka has supported Hart's suggestion that the burh site may be identified with the earthworks on the east side of the Wye. He uses documentary evidence to show that Hart's entrenchment is indeed part of the 'place surrounded by a ditch' described in the 12th century and also, from place-name evidence, shows that the entrenchment was called an old, ditched settlement in the 13th century. From observations on the ground he suggests that the entrenchment is much bigger than Hart's horseshoe-shaped enclosure and suggests a sub-rectangular work comparable in size with other Edwardian forts. From its proximity and connection to Burh-tun, Stetka proposed that the entrenchment is indeed the fort of AD 920. (5)
Work by Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust has cast doubt on Stetka's interpretations, since the supposed bank and ditch which formed the boundary of the burh on the southern and south-western side was not apparent during their excavations. They also point out that the line of the burh that Stetka posits on the south and west sides follows a boundary which first appears on the 1810 enclosure plan and is of no antiquity. (6)
Aerial Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1968. Aerial Photographs: 115,6,7.68.288.
Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. pp 118-121, fig 9.9.
Personal Observation: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). Persnal communication regarding an earthwork enclosure, Combs Lane. 26/06/1989.
Bibliographic reference: Stetka, J. 1997. King Edward the Elder's Burh and the Lost Medieval Village of Burton by Bakewell. Occasional Paper of the Bakewell and District Historical Society.
Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1998. Bakewell Riverside, Bakewell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey. HER Doc. No. 431, Feature 7.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 853.1-7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2275 6820 (431m by 478m) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.