Late 17th to early 18th century stone house with a rendered façade with and stone slate roof. This has coped gable ends with kneelers and an off-centre chimney, with two additional chimneys at the back. The building is of two storeys, with three windows with plain stone architraves and stone mullions. There is a similar one storey extension to the north. (1).
Bridge Cottage is a grade II listed house, dating from the mid 18th century. It is roughcast with ashlar sandstone dressings; the side wing is built in coursed sandstone; and it has stone slate roofs. The house is two storeys high, with a 3-window range with single-storey and a 2-window range side wing on left. [For full description see listed building record]. (2).
This was an inn, The Sign of the Talbot, which closed in 1817. The earliest named inn in Bakewell, The Black Horse, was situated at Bridge Foot in 1669, and is probably this site. (3)
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 3227.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Bibliographic reference: Allcock, C (Bakewell and District Historical Society). 1972. 'Some notes on past Bakewell inns and taverns', Bakewell and District Historical Society Bulletin. No. 4.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 21 68 (20m by 15m) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.