Meadow Place Grange Farmhouse is a Grade II listed building. It dates from the mid 18th century and 1859 and was constructed of rendered and painted stone with painted stone dressings and chamfered quoins. It is three storeys high with two bays and a single bay addition to the rear. (1).
Medieval Grange associated with Leicester Abbey. The chapel could be seen as a farm building, with its round headed doorway, until approximately 100 years ago (1856) when it was pulled down. (2,3,6).
There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (3).
The earliest references to Meadow Place is as Methdueplot in 1101-1108 from 'The Great Register of Lichfield Cathedral known as Magnum Regisrtum Album' and as Methdweploth in 1108 from Dugdale's 'Monasticon Anglicanum'. A grange associated with Leicester is recorded at this site in 1251. (4).
Possible enclosure in the paddock south-west of the farm. (5).
The current farm buildings comprise a farmhouse and eight outbuildings (excepting modern buildings) within a partial enclosing wall. The farmhouse has a date plaque of 1859 and incorporates mid 18th century and mid 19th century fabric. One of the outbuildings has a date plaque in roman numerals of 1850. Within some of the buildings are original wooden and stone stalls, feeders and other structures. The site of the farm buildings was the site of the medieval grange associated with Leicester Abbey. In approximately 1856, a chapel which as used as an outbuilding was reputedly demolished. A building within an enclosed boundary on the approximate site of the farm buildings is shown on a map of 1528. It was called 'new byggyng' at this date, byggyng or bigging being Middle English for building (4). This implies the buildings recent construction. (7).
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p506.
Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25. pp 24-25.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p183.
Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 1995. Meadow Place Grange, Youlgreave, with land near Weaddow Lane, Middleton & Smerrill, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1995. 207. No.5, p10, illus..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 200 657 (141m by 133m) (Approximate)
YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2015 12:09PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.