Building record MDR3806 - Market Hall, Main Street, Winster
Type and Period (1)
- MARKET HALL (Tudor to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2050 AD)
SK 24166054. Market Hall. (1). Late 17th century Market Hall. Originally an open ground floor on pointed arches and an upper floor of brick with gabled ends and windows of one mullion. The building is prominent in the street. The stone tower part seems 15th or 16th century whilst the brick upper part perhaps replaced a timber framed structure and is more likely to be 18th century. (2,4). Market Hall rests upon its massive stone base and stands two storeys high. It had an original open ground floor with five pointed arches, which have now been filled. (3). Grade II* Market Hall, (formerly listed as Market House), 16th century in date with 18th century remodelling. Massive coursed ashlar gritstone to ground floor, brick with gritstone dressings to first floor, quoins, rusticated at first floor level, coved eaves, moulded copings and kneelers, stone slate roof. (5) The Market Hall has been restored within the last 50 years. It is now the property of the National Trust. (6). By the end of the 19th century, the building was in a ruinous condition and the upper storey was removed for safety reasons and rebuilt by 1904. (7).
- <1> SDR6396 Map: 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:25,000.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p357.
- <3> SDR19149 Unpublished document: Anon. no date. The Market House, Winster, Derbyshire.
- <4> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2079.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <6> SDR20137 Personal Observation: Baird, J. 1966. Pers. Comm..
- <7> SDR20138 Bibliographic reference: The National Trust. 1990. Winster Market House.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2416 6055 (6m by 4m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 8 2008 9:14AM