A grade II* listed house and attached walls and gate piers. The house was built in 1774 with minor 20th century repairs. It is built of coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings and chamfered quoins. It has a stone slate roof with stone gable end stacks and stone coped gables. It has a plinth and moulded eaves cornice, raised at the corners over the quoins. It is three storeys high, three bays long, and has a L-plan shape with staircase in the rear wing. There is a central moulded door-case with raised keystone, plain entablature with moulded hood and glazed panelled door. To either side are glazing bar sashes in flush surrounds with raised fillet to the edge. Above are two similar sashes, with a central circular traceried window between. Above again, there are three small glazing bar sashes with similar surrounds to those below, except the central one has extra moulding. The east gable wall has a lead gutter with hopper head inscribed 'GB 1774'. The west elevation of the rear wing has a large Venetian staircase window. There are original leaded lights to two-light windows on the east elevation of the rear wing. The interior has a fine, turned baluster dog-legged staircase, with wide, ramped, moulded handrail, through three floors. There are moulded cornices and decorative plasterwork bosses to the front rooms on the ground and first floors. The first floor east room has a carved classical stone fireplace, and the ground floor east room has a large bracketed stone fireplace with fluted brackets. The house has original panelled doors throughout with original locks. Attached to either side of the south elevation are coursed squared gritstone garden walls with flat copings. To either side near the house, there are flush quoined doorcases with plank doors. Beyond, to the south, the walls ramp downwards. Attached to the rear wing there is a low rubble wall with a pair of gate piers to the end, square in plan and rusticated with moulded cornices, both partly buried. (1)
This building appears as Green House on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2)
It is known as Bradley Hall on modern OS mapping . (3)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1109893.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2377 6208 (11m by 12m) (Centre)
BIRCHOVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:40PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.