Listed Building record MDR3867 - Snitterton Hall, Snitterton, South Darley
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Elizabethan to 21st Century - 1575 AD? to 2050 AD)
Snitterton Hall has been described as 'A gem of an Elizabethan house'. (1) The Hall, an Elizabethan small mansion in pristine condition, is a Grade I listed building of late 16th century date. (2) Snitterton Hall is a unspoilt 16th century building with later additions on its north front. It is an excellent example of the local architecture for that period and is in a good state of preservation. G.P. AO/62/85/4 and 5 show the south and south east aspects respectively. (3) The hall has a symmetrical front, embattled and gabled. There are 4- and 6-light mullioned and transomed windows and an asymmetrically placed doorway. There is a small formal garden in the front. The garden wall, with an arched door, was flanked by two pavillions; only the left one remains. The pitch roof was lowered and the interior altered in 1747. There are 18th century rainwater heads. (4-5) Photographic record. (6-7) From the National Heritage List for England: '1. SNITTERTON 1390 Snitterton Hall SK 26 SE 10/54 22.6.50. I 2. Late C16. An Elizabethan small mansion in pristine condition. Ashlar; 2 storeys and attics. E-shaped on plan. The central block is embattled and has 2 4-light and 1 12-light mullioned transomed windows; entrance porch of early Renaissance type with Ionic fluted shafts flanking a 4-centred arch and supporting a moulded cornice with enriched panel; advanced gabled wings at sides with fenestration as above and with an 8-light window in each gable; moulded bands overall; C18 rainwater-head; old stone tiles. Contains a stone 4-centred arched fireplace and some restored panelling. Listing NGR: SK2784760341.' (8)
- <1> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 215.
- <2> SDR8407 Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. Prov. list of Bldgs. 1390/11/A, Dec.1948,p.8-9.
- <3> SDR6432 Personal Observation: F1 RL 16-NOV-62.
- <4> SDR10743 Article in serial: Oswald, A (Country Life). 1961. 'Snitterton Hall', Country Life. Part 1, pp 178-181; Part 2, pp 228-231. Volume 8. p. 228: A. Oswald..
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1493.
- <6> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1990:421.9A - 34A, 423.29A-35A.
- <7> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1990: 12718.1-22.
- <8> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1248141.
|Grid reference||SK 27847 60341 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH DARLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 15 2020 9:06AM