Monument record MDR4017 - Bronze Age field system, Stoke Flat South, Curbar Edge, Baslow and Bubnell
Type and Period (4)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ENCLOSURE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 255 757. Irregular enclosure west [this should read east] of Curber Edge. (1, 2) A circle of stones, stone bank and 10 cairns, none apparently burial mounds, varying in size from 2.0m - 6.0m diam, and 0.3m - 0.7m high. Surveyed at 25". Centred at SK 2549 7580. (3) A series of Bronze Age cairns with associated clearance banks forming a prehistoric field system. About 15 cairns concentrated primarily in the northern and southern ends of the monument. The area has been widely cleared of surface stone - the cairns varying between 2m and 8.5m in diameter. Some are ovoid. Primary function is thought to be clearance, but some may have been reused for funerary activity. The monument includes clearance banks - low and wide banks to a height of .6m. They define linear and irregular cleared areas. There are also a series of smaller enclosures or 'yards'. Scheduled. (4)
- <1> SDR15494 Index: Preston, F (Hunter Archaeological Society). Transcript of the Hunder Index 2.
- <2> SDR8171 Bibliographic reference: Butcher, L H.
- <3> SDR6373 Bibliographic reference: F1 JB 17-NOV-65.
- <4> SDR18166 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29806. Cat. No.: 385.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2533 7591 (448m by 376m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BASLOW AND BUBNELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2016 12:01PM