Monument record MDR4217 - Camp Green, Church Bank, Hathersage
Type and Period (1)
- RINGWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
The VCH classes Camp Green as a 'single enclosured Camp' (and gives a rather distorted illustration suggesting a Motte and Bailey), and it is scheduled by MOW under 'Other secular sites and buildings'. But it is specifically, though briefly, referred to in Medieval Archaeology as a 'Norman ring-motte, 'in connection with a visit by members of the Society for Medieval Archaeology. No direct confirmation of this classification can be found, but Bray's description and illustration (predating extensive mutilation) of a circular enclosure, outside diam. 200 ft and inside 144 ft. with a 20 ft. high rampart surrounded by a deep ditch, seem to support it. (1-4) Modern mutilation has reduced this earthwork to a mere semi-circle, with most of the southern features now obliterated by buildings and other developments. The remains however, indicate a former enclosure of some strength, with steeply sloping rampart and wide external ditch. The size, shape, situation, moat-like ditch and strength of this relatively small enclosure all confirm its classification as a ring-motte. (5) A Norman ring-work, known as Camp Green and less commonly as Danes Camp, is situated on a knoll north-east of St. Michael's Church, Hathersage. Excavations in 1976-7 by R.A. Hodges, University of Sheffield, failed to produce any conclusive dating evidence with the exception of a single 13th century Brackenfield ware sherd. Nevertheless, Hodges is convinced, both by comparison and association, that this earthwork is a Norman ring-work. It is also included by King and Alcock in their list of Ringworks in England and Wales (1969) as a class A site. Part of this site was scheduled by the Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments in 1948 and the remaining portion in 1979 when it was described as a probable medieval ringwork. (6-9) A new wall was built in 1991 that abuts the portion of the monument facing Eastwood College. (13) In 1990 some damage was caused within the scheduled area following the movement of fence lines due to boundary dispute between Mr Kelsey and Mr Elliot. HBMC FMW (Anne Dodd) is dealing with the case. (14) An archaeological watching brief was carried out by ARCUS in 1992 during a water main renewal scheme at Church Bank, Hathersage. A 110m long trench was mechanically excavated during the watching brief, part of which passed through the Camp Green Scheduled Monument. The bank and ditch of Camp Green were located in at least three sections of the trench. The evidence uncovered during the watching brief supports the theory that the ditch and rampart are roughly circular, with a diameter of about 200 feet, as described by Bray in 1783. The present boundaries of St Michael's churchyard are therefore likely to be relatively modern, since the line of the ditch would have originally run through the eastern part of the graveyard. The exact relationship between the two monuments, however, remains unclear. (17) Site monitoring was carried out in 2011. See form for details. (18)
- <1> SDR18814 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Forestry', Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p 372.
- <2> SDR928 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 23292.
- <3> SDR9004 Article in serial: 1957. Medieval Archaeology, 1, 1957.
- <4> SDR3400 Bibliographic reference: Bray, W. 1783. Sketch of a Tour into Derbyshire and Yorkshire. 184. p 245.
- <5> SDR6152 Personal Observation: F1 ECW 05-OCT-62.
- <6> SDR8922 Article in serial: 1978. Md Arch 22 1978. p 186.
- <7> SDR4512 Article in serial: Hodges, R (University of Sheffield). 1980. 'Excavations at Camp Green, Hathersage (1976-77)- A Norman Ringwork', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 100, pp 25-34.
- <8> SDR3915 Bibliographic reference: DJ Cathcart King & L Alcock. 1969. Ringworks of Eng & Wales. pp 90-127.
- <9> SDR5311 Bibliographic reference: DOE (IAM) AM Record Form 24.4.79.
- <10> SDR16467 Index: Hart, C. (NDAC). 1977. Peak Park Treasures B248. B248.
- <11> SDR16525 Index: OS:SMR. SK 28 SW 12. SK 28 SW 12.
- <12> SDR16526 Index: NDAT. 1207. 1207.
- <13> SDR16527 Unpublished document: Smith, K. 1991. Smith, K. (PPJPB) 1991. Pers Comm. 31.01.91.
- <14> SDR17156 Verbal communication: Dodd, A. 1990. Pers. Comm. 19. 4. 1990.
- <15> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1990: 7414.1-14.
- <16> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1990: 425.2-10, 426.12-36.
- <17> SDR21422 Unpublished document: Gething, P (ARCUS). 1992. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Hathersage. HER Doc. No. 7.
- <18> SDR22218 Unpublished document: Marriott, J (PDNPA). 2011. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Camp Green Ringwork.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2346 8189 (107m by 107m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HATHERSAGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2019 4:28PM