Monument record MDR4326 - Cropmarks south-east of Stenson Farm, Stenson
Type and Period (5)
- ENCLOSURE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- RING DITCH (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- PIT ALIGNMENT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
SK 324 295: Cropmarks of two sides of an enclosure, a pit alignment and a small ring ditch are visible were identified on a photograph taken by Pickering (1, 2), although nothing was visible on OS air photographs. (3) Cropmarks plotted on map overlay at a scale of 1:10,000. (4) Three aerial photographs show cropmarks within this area, interpreted as a pit alignment and an enclosure with an internal ring ditch, on what was probably a gravel island in earlier times. In addition there are other, less distinct cropmarks on the gravel island and a possible branch southwards of the pit alignment. The cropmarks may represent activity at more than one period, or could form a coherent whole, representing possible settlement of the Neolithic/Early Bronze Age, or Later Bronze Age/iron Age. (5) A gradiometer survey carried out on the edge of the cropmark site in early October 2008 failed to produce any archaeologically signficant results. (6) These cropmarks were also identified and plotted on to GIS during an aerial photographic mapping survey that was carried out in 2009/10. (7)
- <1> SDR15787 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Comm Gaz c 1980 8 TVARC No 2041.
- <2> SDR1253 Aerial Photograph: Pickering, J. AP: NMR: Pickering, J.: 3229/13; 27/237.
- <3> SDR1451 Aerial Photograph: 1967. APs (OS 67/012 183 21.3.67).
- <4> SDR1127 Archive: Whiteley, S. 1989. Aerial Photographic Transcripton Project.
- <5> SDR20533 Unpublished document: Brown, J (TPA). 2008. Land at Fryzms House Farm, Stenson, near Willington, Derbyshire. An Archaeological Desk-based Assessment for Mr J Hudson. p 11; Photographs: Appendix E.
- <6> SDR20584 Unpublished document: Morris, A (TPA). 2008. Geophysical survey on land near Stenson, Derbyshire.
- <7> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 32270 29555 (454m by 292m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||TWYFORD AND STENSON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 9:00AM