Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR4410 - Swarkestone Cuttle and Pavilion, Swarkestone

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Grandstand or Summer House, probably of Jacobean date and connected with Swarkestone Hall is a roofless, ashlar building on an oblong plan of two storeys with three storey towers at the ends. The ground floor has a crenellated three bay centre with loggia. The function of the building is unclear although it is said to have been used as a grandstand or pavilion for spectators to watch sport in the rectangular low-walled enclosure facing it, known as 'The Cuttle' (3) or 'The Tilting Ground' (1). Pevsner also notes that Dr. Girouard suggested that the building might be the 'Bowle Alley House' paid for in 1631-2 and tentatively attributed to John Smithson. Grade II*. (2) The Jacobean summerhouse situated at SK 37462864 is as described. See illustration card. (4) Appears to be an elaborate Stuart summer house or banqueting house, with garden and bowling green. It is a shallow building,one room in depth, with three storeys in each tower and a single long room in the middle above an open pillared arcade. The walled field is approximately 100yds by 60yds. Currently [in 1971] in fairly good condition but deteriorating rapidly. In use as a cattle shelter. (5) The Grandstand, Cuttle and gate, 200 metres north of Swarkestone Hall. Bowling green, pavilion and enclosure, now a Landmark Trust property c1630, built for the Harpurs of Swarkeston. Restored in early 19th cent and converted 1985. (6) Overlooks the Cuttle, renowned for bull-baiting but probably a bowling green. The house has two angle towers, with bulbous tops, a crenallated 3 bay centre with loggia on ground floor and tuscan columns, depressed ogge arches. The first floor windows have 1 mullion and 1 transome each. TPAT excavated the cellar and drew elevations for HBMC prior to restoration by the Landmark Trust 1985-6. (8) Pavilion and walled enclosure formerly a garden, now a field, known as the Cuttle or Grand Stand, approx 0.35ha, c1630, attributed to John Smythson. Associated with the Harpur mansion of Swarkestone, demolished in the later 17th century. The pavilion or summerhouse is of two storeys, with angle towers of 3 storeys with ogival domes. 3 bay loggia, ruined room behind. Gateway opposite pavilion in walled enclosure. Remains of mansion form part of garden wall of present hall and include remains of fireplaces. (9, 10) Formerly scheduled (DR104), but descheduled under Monument Protection Programme. (11)

Sources/Archives (11)

  • <1> Map: 1982. OS 1:10000.
  • <2> Article in serial: Bailey, G. 1909. 'Swarkestone Bridge', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 31, pp 43-50, illust.. p48-9.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: MHLG (prov list) SE Derby RD Dec 1960 32-3.
  • <4> Personal Observation: FI FDC 13 April 1962.
  • <5> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. Incl. Photos.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Buildings. Dist of South Derbyshire Derby 11 Mar 1987 174-5.
  • <7> Article in serial: Young, J A. 1982. 'New evidence regarding the Balcony Field at Swarkestone', Derbyshire Miscellany. Volume 9, pp 161-163.
  • <8> Index: TPAT. 2072. 2072.
  • <9> Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. Part 10: Derbyshire.
  • <10> Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 607963. 607963. p950-1.
  • <11> Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Descheduling Notification: Swarkestone Bowling Green & Pavilion. 90348. Cat. No.: 104.



Grid reference Centred SK 3746 2861 (10m by 10m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 28 2024 5:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.