Monument record MDR4423 - Brick Yard and Clay Pit (site of), King's Newton
Type and Period (3)
- CLAY PIT (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICKWORKS (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- POTTERY WORKS (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1870 AD)
- None recorded
19th century brickworks, also a pottery c.1850-70. Area partially levelled but quarry face survives. (1) Pottery was made experimentally at King's Newton in 1852 and it has been suggested that Anglo-Saxon ware found locally was made from the same clay. No marked wares are known. (2, 3) (SK 3918 2632) Brick Yard named on the OS map of 1887, with clay pit (not named) shown as earthworks; a railway/tramway (not named) runs from the clay pit to the works which are sited adjacent to, and with a siding from, the Ashby and Breedon Branch Railway. (6) The Brick Yard had presumably gone out of use by the end of the 19th century, as the site is shown as 'Old Clay Pit' on later OS maps. (7-8) The area is depicted as a slag/refuse heap. (9, 10)
- <1> SDR14997 Index: TPAT. 2478. 2478.
- <2> SDR4931 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, H. 1877. The Ceramic Art of Great Britain. Volume 1. p 374.
- <3> SDR19408 Article in serial: Brown, R. 1994. 'Potteries of Derbyshire', Journal of the Northern Ceramic Society. Vol. 11, pp 95-153. p 130, site 40.
- <4> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 369.
- <5> SDR4930 Bibliographic reference: Harrison, Harrod and Co. 1860. Directory and Gazetteer of Derbyshire 1860.
- <6> SDR17857 Map: OS. 1887. OS County Series 1:10560, Sheet Derbys LVIII NW. 1887. 1:10560.
- <7> SDR17858 Map: OS. 1901. OS County Series 1:10560, Sheet Derbys LVIII NW. Second Edition 1901, revised 1899. 1:10560.
- <8> SDR17859 Map: OS. 1924. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LVIII NW. Edition of 1924, revised 1920. 1:10560.
- <9> SDR17860 Map: OS. 1982. OS 1:10000 1982. 1:10000.
- <10> SDR17867 Index: RCHME. 1995. New National Forest Survey: 922897. 922897. pp 971-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3918 2628 (221m by 165m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 11:00AM