Listed Building record MDR4546 - Stone House Prebend, Old Chester Road, Derby

Type and Period (5)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

School Farm (named on map) (1) School Farmhouse, Old Chester Road, is a late 16th century red brick building of irregular plan with two storeys. A date stone gives the date as 1597. An earlier building is possibly incorporated and the cellars are said to contain Roman masonry. The interior contains an early 17th century oak-panelled room and a wide fireplace. Grade 2*. (2) School Farmhouse, late 16th century, brick, with large medieval stone chimneys and left wing dated 1597 (cellars said to contain Roman masonry: DOE) (3) Stone House Prebend is the only one of three prebendal farms acquired by Derby Borough in 1554 that is still standing. It was called City House in the 1850s but was School Farm by 1895 as it had, by that time, been put to use as a Masters' house for Derby School. It was sketched by George Bailey in the 1880s and is outwardly little changed since his sketch. It has been a private residence since 1977. (4) Extensive documentary research by Mrs D'Arcy shows that this is one of three houses built to farm the prebendal estates in Derby of the Sub Dean of Lincoln in the Middle Ages. In 1547 the estates were appropriated by the Crown and assigned to the town of Derby. In the 19th century it was used as a school and became known as School Farm, but by the 1970s was empty and had been vandalised by fire. In 1978 it was sold and became a private residence. The oldest part of the present building is the north-south range, which was built as timber-framed structure with close-studded walls and widely spaced roof trusses. It was probably the cross-wing to an earlier hall, probably to the east, and perhaps built about 1500-1525, with massive stone chimneys (hence its name). In the early 17th century the medieval hall was replaced by a large timber-framed kitchen wing and the house space rearranged. The timber-framing was replaced by brick in the 17th and 18th century, and a brick extension built at the west end in the early 18th century. The date stone of 1597 is probably a 19th century copy. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: OS 1:10000 undated.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1228772.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 184.
  • <4> Article in serial: D'Arcy, J. 2004. 'The manor and prebendal lands of Little Chester, Derby', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 124, pp 285-303.
  • <5> Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 57, Oct/Nov 1989.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3525 3748 (24m by 18m) (Centre)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2014

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 29 2020 9:52AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.