Arched footbridge and mill offices, Bridge Foot, Belper, footbridge built in 1795, and mill offices on the east side built in the early 19th century.
'The stone archway, of c1795, connected a previous North Mill, (now Belper North Mill, SK 34 NW 26) and the West Mill. The office block, of the early 1800's, was altered in 1912.' (1)
A sandstone bridge links the two separate areas of the former Strutt Mills complex on either side of the Ashbourne road. The archway also served a defensive role. Along its length are gun embrasures which protected the West Mill counting house. (2)
A covered archway built c1790 by Jedediah Strutt to link the North Mill site to the West Mill site, now occupied by a single storey modern mill. The gun embrasures were incorporated as a precaution against civil unrest, but they were never used. (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30 March 2022 to update text and reformat to current standards
SK 3448 SE 1/53
BRIDGE FOOT (East Side) Road archway and footbridge (includes offices forming south part of block in east side of archway)
Late C18/early C19. (The road archway is said to date from the 1790s). Ashlar. Two storeys. Slate roof, large segmental arch for double carriageway across main road flanked by round headed pedestrian archways. The western wall dividing the archways contains a drinking fountain. First floor has five casements of three lights each with glazing bars and gun embrasures commanding the roadway and thought to have been installed in case of attack by the Luddites. West side advanced, three storeys with casements. Footbridge or gangway extends along roadside to north. Ashlar with segmental arch to road now blocked. Tall parapet on outer side, short on inner side.
Inter building to south of above three storeys, stone has round corner turrets to south corners, eaves band, plain frieze, cornice and blocking course, bands between storeys. Two and three light casements with mullions, upper windows with transoms. Top floor windows largest.
Listing NGR: SK3453748036.'
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. 88.
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. 62, illust..
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). 2.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1087395?section=official-list-entry.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 34537 48036 (point)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2022 1:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.